[mythtv-users] HD-PVR issues - is there a solution?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Feb 23 00:37:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 07:09:17PM -0500, Mark wrote:
> I've searched the web high and low for weeks and have yet to get a
> definitive set of answers on the HD-PVR issues as they stand.  Lots of
> people seem to have the same issues.
>
> 1.  Zero byte files - usually requires a reset
>
> 2.  Unit stops responding - always requires a reset
>
> 3.  Audio records at 59.94Hz, and video at 60Hz, giving a sync issue over
> time.  Some people change firmware to fix it, only to return to the same
> state.  Is this a firmware issue or a myth issue?  Who knows?
>
> I'd like to try and collect all this information in one place / thread to
> give folks out there struggling with the same issues a place to get
> answers.  There's got to be a fair amount of people who've experienced
> these issues.  Let them come forth and share experiences!
>
> And finally, if there's no solutions to these issues, let's do what we
> need to do to fix them.  Bug reports, traces, whatever it takes.

   In general, I agree with the idea that the backend should be a bit
more proactive with tuners that seem to be generating a bunch of garbage.
A tuner can be offline for quite some time before a human manages to notice
it. By that time you might have a big pile of bad recordings that all need
to be cleaned up as well as recordings that were effectively missed because
they didn't record right and weren't redone because the scheduler didn't
know any better.

   I think I had a bad wall wart that was contributing to most of my own
issues with blank/zero recordings on my HD-PVRs.

[deletia]