[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 04:16:57 UTC 2011

> I've been watching this and other threads about Consumer grade drives.

So drives went from an expected 1% annual failure rate to 1% to 7%.
That is a big jump, I agree. To me some thing had to give when prices
came down from $300 per hard drive for mid end models to under $100
for the same today.

> I currently have a Dlink NAS I like very much that's currently using 250GB drives so far with no problems...
> But from this list especially, I've been worried abou upgrading to the mega drives because of failure rates.
>
> Meanwhile, I have some older SCSI SCA-80pin drives in Compaq Servers (IBM Mechanisms) that have been spinning forever.

Those would be horribly slow compared to even a modern SATA drive and
use 3 times the electricity for a small amount of space.

> (granted, sans the DeathStar line now that Hitachi owns it)
>
> It definitely has me scratching my head as how to upgrade stuff without clobbering my wallet.

Well 2TB drives can be had for under $80 USA so buy in pairs of 2 and
raid 1 each drive if you are that worried about loosing data. If not
it costs about $7 to ship out a drive. I have only once RMAd a RMA'd
drive in the > 100 drives I have sent back over the years (that
happened last week) so you probably will not need to use the warranty
on a drive more than 1 time.

John
John