[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 13:30:03 UTC 2011

> They also have a bit of a nasty flaw where they are internally a 4K
> sector drive,

That is annoying for linux users because if the drive reports 4K
sectors linux would have no problem with that.

>but rather than report themselves as such, and have modern
> operating systems just handle that characteristic automatically, they
> report themselves as a 512b sector drive and rely on special Windows
> drivers to behave properly.

I believe they only rely on partitioning the drive. Since Vista and
above start the first partition on sector 2048 instead of 63.

BTW, in linux gdisk and recent fdisk both support these 4K drives out
of the box. At least they do on my gentoo system.

fdisk starts the first partition on sector 2048 and I believe gdisk
aligns partitions to MB boundaries or similar.

> If you do not partition and format them
> properly to ensure alignment, disk performance will suffer greatly.

Agreed.

John