[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 21:07:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Rob Smith wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 7:27 AM, Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anybody that cares about the health of their drives should check into
>> smartmontools.
>>
>> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
>>
>> It's cross-platform and free.   I've got mine set up to short scan
>> daily, long scan weekly, and email me when it detects impending failure.
>>  It's pretty slick!  And it has saved me several times.
>
> And entirely useless for Seagate drives. They dropped the SMART
> Standard and so the values you get are meaningless.

Eh? Works fine with all my Seagate PATA and SATA drives here. The RAW_VALUEs
aren't, to my knowledge, standardised, which might be what you're noticing.
One should only compare the cooked VALUE against the manufacturer-specified
THRESHold. If you don't trust that comparison, choose a different vendor.

Best Regards,
Alex