[mythtv-users] Is multirec working good for anyone?

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 14:19:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 5:12 PM, raptor jr <raptorjr at hotmail.com> wrote:
> How is multirec working out for you?
>
> For me it doesn't seem to work very well. If a recording is in progress and
> another starts on the same card, both fail. If my first and second card are
> recording and i wan't to watch LiveTV, which should be possible on the other
> channels that are on the same MUX, it is not possible to change to another
> channel, i can only watch the one that is recording on my "LiveTV card", ie
> the last card in my setup. With the OSD i am able to browse to the other
> channels on the same MUX, but when i try to switch channels it takes a while
> and then i'm back on the one recording.
> I'm using DVB-C and the latest trunk version of Myth.
>
> Is this working for anyone? It seems that it would be a nice feature if it
> worked.
>
> /Stefan

It's a known limitation of multi-rec, and has been since it was
implemented a few years ago.  It's not a card or driver issue, it's a
mythtv one.

However, it only manifests itself as you describe, when something is
recording a scheduled show on a certain multiplex, that is the only
multiplex you can leverage in LiveTV.  There are workarounds, but none
of them really work for me - except to get rid of the virtual tuners
and don't use multiplex - which is what I've done.  It's probably my
only actual "complaint" against MythTV - but I understand why it's low
priority, and I've got enough physical tuners personally that I would
rarely benefit from having multiplex that I can live with it until
it's fixed.  That said - I can't wait until it's fixed :D

See:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/458151#458151
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/469495?search_string=multirec%20livetv;#469495
and
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7164
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4989

and a dozen or so other reports and ML threads on the subject.

Matt