[mythtv-users] Poor quality jerky video playback

Anthony Rooney rooneyo at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 25 14:32:41 UTC 2011

Hi

Having got myth video to be able to read other network drive locations I am
disappointed to see the very poor quality playback across the board with all
video formats.  I have copied some of the video files locally to the Mythbox
to rule out network latency issues however the quality is still very poor.
Playing DVD compilations in Myth Video does not allow you to just play from
the parent directory level and read the ifo file and play back the VOB in
the correct order like so many other DVD players .  You seem to have to play
each individual VOB files which is very useless even through it can play the
content if is not presented as a logic package.  It does not seem to honour
the menu structures as you wouold expect.  I'm sure here is a step I am
missing that someone can help with.  How do you get rid of all the questin
marks on the files?

I noticed playback of videos  is particularly bad with files captured with
my HD Camcorder VIXIA HFS 21 which saves files natively to a .mts format at
whatever resolution you chose.  Myth Video is very jerky with the playback
regardless to the capture resolution momentarily stalling every 6 seconds
and VLC player is even worse.  Movie Player make the best effort playing
back footage however none are as smooth as Windows media player or PowerDVD,
Real Player or Nero Media Hub in the Windows platform.  I cannot imagine
that playing back video files in Ubuntu should have such a performance
difference so I was looking for some advice about what codecs I need to add
to my Linux machine so it can play back video clips at the same quality as
Windows or a mac with equivalent hardware?

I have found that flip videos that are downloaded in Ubuntu are unrecognised
by Movie player an myth video by default but are played by VLC without a
problem.  If I use video redo to edit the MP4 clips and resave in video redo
as MP4 (H.264) movie player will play them fine.  All of the windows
applications play the flip video fine however ubuntu's support for video is
flaky.  It plays the files without reporting an error but very badly making
them unwatchable.

What do I need to do to narrow the performance gap so I can use my Myth box
as a media centre?  Do I need to remux them at different frames per second
to remove the jerky playback the so degrades the quality?  How can some many
windows apps play the files  well by default whereas Linux apps seem to need
fine tuning?

What setting should I look at?

My version of Movie Player is: 2.30.2 - G Streamer 0.10.28

VLC is gcc version 4.4.3-4 ubuntu5

Many Thanks

Anthony