[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

Michael Jones mythtv at michaelandholly.com
Sat Feb 26 05:16:50 UTC 2011

I'm probably going to get flamed for this.. but what the hell..

First, in order to make it clear that I don't want to come across as an
arrogant, whiny, a****** with an entitlement or superiority complex... I
have to give a HUGE thanks for those on the development team that have given
us a fantastic, versatile product with useful tools and features.. and a
hearty ______-you to those with the unparalleled arrogance to throw out the
casual "if you don't like it.. write your own" argument when someone makes a
suggestion or dares to criticize a new feature or decision....and if you
qualify for both, so be it..

There are those who have time to tinker at "writing their own" and there are
those who don't.  I have had plenty of dev experience in my past and given
the time I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to contribute more than just ideas and
suggestions to those who so freely give their time to this project.
Unfortunately I don't enough hours in my day to do so at the moment.

And with that off my chest...

I DO understand the reasoning behind merging of the theme tools, and even
agree with it in some respects.   The new, more cohesive, theme engine will
make creation much easier in many respects.  Some of the themes that have
come from these talented designers are attractive and impressive.

Unfortunately, however, I feel that putting the appearance of the system so
fully in the control of the "theme designer" is more of a mistake than
allowing the user to create their own, useful, "inconsistent interface" that
fits their needs and preferences... and therefore increasing  the
functionality of their implementation and WAF in the process.

This may be a conversation for another forum.. but.. what about some sort of
theme editor that would give users the ability to edit critical elements of
themes (like the font size) without having to decipher the nuances of how
the theme was created?

Michael