[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Feb 26 16:00:42 UTC 2011

On 2/26/2011 00:16, Michael Jones wrote:
> This may be a conversation for another forum.. but.. what about some sort of
> theme editor that would give users the ability to edit critical elements of
> themes (like the font size) without having to decipher the nuances of how
> the theme was created?

Such a graphical theme editor might be the only way we're ever going to
get a significant amount of themes.  Even the theme competition offering
several hundred dollars worth of donated prizes only seemed to manage a
handful of entries.  The theme downloader and up-coming theme sharing
site may help things, as it greatly increases the chance other users
might actually use an author's work, but we'll see.

But as always, a graphical editor is going to be a huge undertaking, and
someone would have to spend the time to write it.  Back to your original
complaint about the "if you don't like it... write your own", we can
have all the ideas and suggestions in the world, but it all comes down
to someone spending the weeks/months to put it all to code.  That's the
single greatest advantage and disadvantage of open source.  Anyone can
contribute, but since they're not getting anything, they're just working
on their own pet project.  For what it's worth, my contributions to
MythTV began with one of those arrogant "if you think you can do
better..." remarks.