[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation Needed

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 21:50:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, moodyjunk at frontiernet.net wrote:

> I'm running Fedora 12 with kernel 2.6.32.26-175 and MythTV 0.24.  I need
> to replace my current video card (9500GT) due to a bad fan.  I'm looking
> at Asus ENGT430
> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121397) vs Asus
> ENGT240 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121353).
> Does anybody have any recommendations of GeForce GT 430 vs 240 for this
> configuration?  ie, is GT 430 supported well in kernel 2.6.32.26-175 and
> MythTV 0.24

Reportedly, even the GT240 is overkill for MythTV. I've got one anyway as I
could only find the GT210 and GT240 in passively cooled variants from my
vendor, and the GT210 is a little underspec'ed for MythTV. The GT430 is
similar in price to the GT240, so that's probably the better buy, but you
might like to consider a passively cool model also.

Neither are well supported by Linux/Xorg directly; both need the nVidia
proprietary driver for optimal performance and functionality with MythTV.
Given this, neither should present many problems. You might wish to use the
slightly older version 256 drivers rather than the newest 260 drivers, as
some people report instability with those.

Best Regards,
Alex