[mythtv-users] iMON IR config on Fedora 14 is broken

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Jan 3 05:55:24 UTC 2011

On Jan 2, 2011, at 2:33 PM, Todd Brunhoff wrote:

> For some time now, my iMON mini has not worked under Fedora 13, and after upgrading to Fedora 14, that does not appear to work either. Various postings (e.g. http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=95) point to the change in design to the devinput driver and the move from the lirc_imon to the imon driver. I don't have a complete solution yet, but I have collected a number of notes along the way. Some of the notes may be helpful to others, and perhaps one of the notes points to my mistake and the reason I can't get the imon to work.
> 	• My primary symptom I am stuck on is that 'irw' produces no output even though I can see the IR device winking when I press buttons on the remote. I don't see an errors in /var/log/messages and lircd is running and reports that it is using the device I configured in the next bullet.
> 	• The preferred setup for the lircd is to specify the devinput device by-id explicitly. For me, the devices that appear are
> /dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0042-event-if00
> /dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0042-event-mouse
> /dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0042-mouse

-event-if00 is the remote, -event-mouse is the mouse, panel and knob events.

> I cannot find any reference to which one of these devices is the correct one to use. Lircd can attach to the first two but not the last one.

That is correct.

> 	• This posting (http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-November/301836.html) suggests that ir-keytable could be used to load scancode->keycode mappings to the driver. ir-keytable is part of v4l-utils, but none of my yum repositories carry that package.   I found some binary RPMs for v4l-utils, but they exclude ir-keytable binary. I found source for 0.8.0 and 0.8.1 at http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-utils/ and I found a test tarball for 0.8.2 (http://people.fedoraproject.org/~jwrdegoede/). This does not seem quite ready for prime time.
> 	• The packages above build and include keymap tables for the imon (utils/keytable/rc_keymaps/imon_pad and utils/keytable/rc_keymaps/imon_mce). However, using the command 'ir-keytable -w <file>' to load either of these files does not work. The imon_pad file loads without complaint, but 'ir-keytable -r' shows no keymappings. Loading the imon_mce file produces one error for every line that looks like 'Setting scancode <X> with <Y> via EVIOCSKEYCODE: Invalid argument'.

Hm. Haven't poked at ir-keytable in a while, that's mostly been Mauro working on
it, and as far as I know, its supposed to be fully functional...

> 	• With the old lirc_imon driver, you could select whether it decoded MCE or native iMON codes by including a param when loading the driver with insmod or modprobe: protocol=1 or protocol=0. This is now set by a parameter in the keymap files, or with 'ir-keytable -p <protocol>' where protocol for the iMON is RC-6 to decode MCE codes, and empty (?) to decode native iMON codes.

Its actually "unknown", iirc. Its not a standard IR protocol the kernel knows about,
anyway. The driver looks for "not RC-6" to set imon native proto mode.

> This all makes me think that the imon driver (/lib/modules/2.6.35.10-74.fc14.x86_64/kernel/drivers/media/rc/imon.ko) is not fully baked and that I'll have to wait for Fedora 15. Please tell me I am wrong...

I have five imon devices in my possession, and they all work perfectly fine
under Fedora 14. I've got one or two more updates to put into the imon driver
though, one of which may be to add back the modparam for starting proto. (The
other would be to default to keyboard mode instead of mouse mode).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com