[mythtv-users] iMON IR config on Fedora 14 is broken

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jan 3 15:58:16 UTC 2011

On 01/03/2011 12:55 AM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2011, at 2:33 PM, Todd Brunhoff wrote:
>
>> For some time now, my iMON mini has not worked under Fedora 13, and after upgrading to Fedora 14, that does not appear to work either. Various postings (e.g. http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=95) point to the change in design to the devinput driver and the move from the lirc_imon to the imon driver. I don't have a complete solution yet, but I have collected a number of notes along the way. Some of the notes may be helpful to others, and perhaps one of the notes points to my mistake and the reason I can't get the imon to work.
>> 	• My primary symptom I am stuck on is that 'irw' produces no output even though I can see the IR device winking when I press buttons on the remote. I don't see an errors in /var/log/messages and lircd is running and reports that it is using the device I configured in the next bullet.
>> 	• The preferred setup for the lircd is to specify the devinput device by-id explicitly. For me, the devices that appear are
>> /dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0042-event-if00
>> /dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0042-event-mouse
>> /dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0042-mouse
>
> -event-if00 is the remote, -event-mouse is the mouse, panel and knob events.
>

>> I cannot find any reference to which one of these devices is the correct one to use. Lircd can attach to the first two but not the last one.
>
> That is correct.
>

>> 	• This posting (http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-November/301836.html) suggests that ir-keytable could be used to load scancode->keycode mappings to the driver. ir-keytable is part of v4l-utils, but none of my yum repositories carry that package.   I found some binary RPMs for v4l-utils, but they exclude ir-keytable binary. I found source for 0.8.0 and 0.8.1 at http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-utils/ and I found a test tarball for 0.8.2 (http://people.fedoraproject.org/~jwrdegoede/). This does not seem quite ready for prime time.
>> 	• The packages above build and include keymap tables for the imon (utils/keytable/rc_keymaps/imon_pad and utils/keytable/rc_keymaps/imon_mce). However, using the command 'ir-keytable -w<file>' to load either of these files does not work. The imon_pad file loads without complaint, but 'ir-keytable -r' shows no keymappings. Loading the imon_mce file produces one error for every line that looks like 'Setting scancode<X>  with<Y>  via EVIOCSKEYCODE: Invalid argument'.
>
> Hm. Haven't poked at ir-keytable in a while, that's mostly been Mauro working on
> it, and as far as I know, its supposed to be fully functional...

> [...]

Jarod is too modest to mention that he has baked a new kernel which
corrects at least one of the problems which exist in the 20-74 version.

Go here:  http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/2.6.35.10/
and drill down for rpms. Use '-ivh' and install the 10-75 version.

I have been using an iMon for a number of years and have never run
across any need to use ir-keytable. With the imon driver, the devinput
lircd.conf is fine and everything 'personal' is done in the lircrc file
(although the iMon remote keys and mappings are quite obvious).

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury