[mythtv-users] Installing only mythfrontend on Ubuntu

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 4 00:43:56 UTC 2011

On 01/03/2011 07:21 PM, Harry Devine wrote:
> On 01/03/2011 06:42 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>>> OK, I was able to get it installed. Now when I run it, I get the "Cannot
>>> log in" error. I'm putting in my master backend's IP address. Is this
>>> not
>>> correct? I've always had a combined BE/FE until now, and I'm adding this
>>> occassional frontend.
>>>
>> When you setup the backend did you have it listen on 127.0.0.1 or
>> localhost instead of the external ip address?
>>
>> John
>>
> Nope. I used 192.168.1.200 and not localhost or 127.0.0.1.

This is actually a mysql error. The usual setup is 'mythtv at localhost':
mysql only accepts a login from localhost.

You need a remote user which is allowed to use the mysql server on what
is now a remote BE.

Amend this as required to replace localhost with the new FE's name.
Remember to amend the /etc/hosts file on the BE, so it can resolve the name:
****************
CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS mythconverg;
GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost
IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE
utf8_general_ci;
*****************

Save it as mc.sql, and call it (on the BE machine as the root mysql
user) using:

#mysql -u root -p  < mc.sql

After this, if you log in to mysql as root, and do:

mysql> use mysql;
mysql> select host,user,password from user;

You will see ALL of the allowed users and the hosts from which they are
allowed to contact the mysql server. If the users use the same password,
it will show up as the same hashed value.

Geoff