[mythtv-users] HDPVR recording failures and audio dropouts

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 04:09:44 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Derek & Cindi Cass
<cass at casscoenterprises.com> wrote:
> The issue of recording failures and audio dropouts has been well discussed
> on this list.  I just went and updated my hdpvr to the latest driver
> 1.5.7.0.  I use 64 bit Fedora for my Myth backend, and I used a 32 bit
> Windows Vista for the firmware update.  During the update, the detailed
> messages stated that the 32 bit driver installed fine on the hdpvr, but the
> 64 bit driver was not installed since I was using 32 bit windows for the
> update.
>

> That all being said, I was looking through this list at people’s various
> issues with the hdpvr, and there are some who claim they have no real
> issues, and others who have recording failures and missing audio and such.
> Could it be that a driver mismatch between the OS and the hdpvr is an issue?
>

> If you used a 32 bit windows to update your hdpvr and you use a 64 bit linux
> OS, do you have issues with your hdpvr?
>

> If you used a 64 bit windows to update your hdpvr and you use a 64 bit linux
> OS, do you have issues with your hdpvr, or are you one who has a stable
> system?

The firmware installed *in* in the HD-PVR is the same no matter what
word size the OS uses.  The OS driver is different, but not the
firmware.

My best guess as to why some people have problems, while others do
not, is the STB.  For example, people that use Dish STB's tend to
report a lot more problems than people that use Directv STBs.

I *do* occasionally have a problem with my HD-PVR (where I have to
power-cycle the HD-PVR), but they are not normal, and I can go months
without a problem.  I have always used the optical audio output from
my Directv H20 to feed Dolby Digital into the HD-PVR, and any
audio/video sync issues or drop-outs are extremely rare.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?