[mythtv-users] How many people in the UK would buy a DVB-T2 PCI-E with working drivers?

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Jan 5 13:53:21 UTC 2011

On 5 Jan 2011, at 13:27, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Andre wrote:
>
>> Surely dual would be a bit excessively future proof at this stage, I'd doubt there will be a second T2 mux in the UK for some years and a T1 tuner is extremely cheap. Multirec would get you all the HD channels with one tuner.
>
> But why put two cards in your scarce slots when you can put one dual-tuner card in ?

Why pay for two expensive DVBT2 tuners when you can only use one for the foreseeable future? Just in raw silicon terms for the demod DVBT2 =$20-$30, DVBT=$2, I understand that a better (=more expensive) tuner is generally required as well.

So far every dual tuner card I have or have read about seems to have problems when both tuners are used simultaneously, it's very unlikely I'll buy a dual tuner device again, they are not so useful when only used independently :-P

Mythtv is clever enough to manage multiple tuners with different capabilities so for the final use dual T2 is exactly the same as single T2 & single T1, for the foreseeable future in the UK anyway. With the way things are going the BBC won't be able to afford to bid for a second T2 mux, certainly not Five, TopupTV, yeah right! Only possibility might be Sky and that will likely be locked into their decryption hardware so not so relevant for MythTV.

I'll just be happy to have any T2 tuner that has good linux drivers and DVBT2 modulation support in S2API and MythTV. I think four FTA simultaneous HD channels is worth finding an antenna cable for.

> Not to mention, some of the dual tuner cards only need one antenna cable, so taming (very slightly) the spaghetti monster behind the machine.

Yeah, that's nice but I'd rather have something that;
1) works properly
2) is affordable
3) comes to market in a reasonable period.

Andre