[mythtv-users] USB-serial cable for Directv control (stupid question)

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Fri Jan 7 14:29:16 UTC 2011

On 06/01/11 19:35, Stephen Sassman wrote:
> So I bought a USB to serial cable for controlling my Directv H24 STB.
> When it arrived I was surprised to find that the DB9 end of the cable is
> male. This is a problem for me because the serial port on my computer is
> also male. Do I need another F/F cable or what am I doing wrong here? I
> tried to search online, but all of the directions don't have any
> pictures and just pin out stuff that doesn't make sense to me. Thanks
> for your help, Steve.

Errr. I've never seen a DirecTV box (I'm on the wrong continent for
that), but what are you trying to do? Is this a box that has a USB port
and you want to control it from a PC that has a serial port? If so,
you're out of luck: USB-to-serial adapters only work if the USB side is
connected to the PC.

For more info, see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial

HTH, Jan