[mythtv-users] mythnetvision and youtube == high CPU even with flash "square"

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 17:07:03 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> The pointer to adobe's flash 10.2 "square" in the other thread got me to
> experimenting with mythnetvision this morning.  I was able to download
> and install the 10.2 flash release and verified that it indeed does work
> decently with vdpau in firefox.
>
> With mythfrontend however, I still see quite excessive CPU usage playing
> YouTube videos however, much more than Firefox with the same flash on
> the same machine yields in fact.
>
> Is there any reason why mythfrontend would not benefit from flash 10.2?

Myth doesn't implement a standalone browser.  We simply wrap Qt's
webkit.  Qt's webkit is unable to use Flash hardware acceleration
currently.  Nothing in the myth code allows us to work around this.
when Qt fixes their issue, Myth will automatically start working with
hardware acceleration.

Bear in mind that decode of flash content is trivial-- it's the
scaling and colorspace conversion that is horribly broken and
CPU-violating... and their VDPAU implementation does nothing to
correct this.

> Since this is my first real foray into mythnetvision I thought I'd share
> a couple of other observations/questions.
>
> It's really quite annoying to have flashplayer inside of a bordered myth
> UI.  That is, why not jump to full-screen?  I don't even see the
> full-screen option on the player controls that I see when I visit
> Youtube with a browser.

As much as I am loathe to respond to things that start with "It's
really quite annoying," Mythnetvision has been improved in trunk to
permit both remote control and borderless playback *in some
instances*.  Not all, or even most of the grabbers have been converted
to this.  Youtube, Vimdeo, Blip.tv and Dailymotion currently work in
this fashion.  Some will be impossible to convert to this method of
control, such as hulu.

> While viewing content from (say) Youtube there seems to be no way to
> exit or get back to the previous screen.  Even when I put the mouse
> pointer outside of the player window no keyboard actions seem at all
> useful, even after the video has stopped playing.  The only thing
> possible at that point seems to be to kill the frontend and relaunch it.

Have you read the documentation?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythNetvision#Help.21__I_can.27t_escape_out_of_a_video.21
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythNetvision#Help.21__I_clicked_the_player_controls_on_a_flash_player_and_now_I_.2Areally.2A_can.27t_escape_out_of_the_video.21

> Thots on any or all of this?

I have some thoughts about this spelling, does that count?

Robert