[mythtv-users] Can't seem to permanently delete channels

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Jan 9 17:09:59 UTC 2011

On 1/9/2011 11:46, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Gabe Rubin<gaberubin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Michael T. Dean
>> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  wrote:

>>> This is the correct way.

>>> Because mythfilldatabase re-added the channels because you did not remove
>>> them from your Schedules Direct lineup (the same would have happened if
>>> using XMLTV and you didn't remove them from your XMLTV configuration).
>>>
>> There are several ways to resolve this.
>> One is to deselect the channel from your schedules direct lineup.
>> Another is to have mythfilldatabase use the --remove-new-channels flag
>> when it runs (there is an option in either mythtv-setup or the
>> settings in mythtv to add flags for mythfilldatabase to use).
>> The final option is to just hide the channel using the channel editor
>> in mythweb (and presumably elsewhere).
>>
>> Note that if you do the first option, these channels likely won't be
>> available to your other tuners, so that is not a good option.  If you
>> use the second option and your lineup adds channels, they won't
>> automatically get added to your database.  This is why I use the third
>> option.
> Here's my situation,
>
> I have three "sources", one for firewire, one for DVB, one for my HDPVR.
> The source for the DVB does not add channels when mythfilldatabase
> runs, the other two keep adding channels that are technically in the
> lineup but I've removed from the database.
> So why does one not add channels but the other two do? AND how do I
> then have channels on one but not the other two if mythfilldatabase is
> going to continuously want to keep adding those channels back

Guide data providers do not currently provide us enough information to
tune a digital channel.  Analog channels, and anything with an external
tuner, simply take a single channel number, and can be automatically
added from the guide data.  If you don't want those channels re-added,
either mark them as invisible, remove them from your Schedules Direct
lineup, or alter the mythfilldatabase call to force it to ignore new
channels.