[mythtv-users] Building new Mythtv Box

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jan 10 16:35:14 UTC 2011

On 01/09/2011 08:33 PM, Jim Gifford wrote:
> Getting ready to build a new Mythtv box.
>
> Was wondering what was the recommended Linux Distro these days for Mythtv.
>
> System build is:
>
> Intel CoreDuo 2.4
> MCE Remote (1039)
> MCE Keyboard
> Nvidia 6200
> Hauppage PVR-1600
> 2GB RAM
> 1GB HD
> FIOS TV

Ditch the Nvidia 6200. You have FIOS so you get HD. You really need at
least a 9500GT or newer (GT220 etc) for vdpau to lower the load on the
CPU. That CPU will work, but will be stressed if you are recording and
playing at the same time.

I presume that it is a typo for '1TB' where you say '1GB HD'.

For lots of reasons you should seriously consider having a small HD for
the OS and another HD for video storage. Using a 20-60GB HD for the OS
allows you to segregate /, /home, and /var onto different partitions
thus protecting your setup in certain situations. Also you can format
the partitions separately for the job that they will be doing.

As to distro, it really depends on whether you have any linux background
to rely on. If none, then one of the 'all-in-one' setups (mythdora,
mythbuntu) is probably best for you.

I started with Mandriva, and did not like it. I have played with Ubuntu
and find it odd, compared to Red Hat based Fedora which is what I run
everywhere. (Even the VOIP phone setup runs Centos.)

There is NO recommended distro. They all work. It is like arguing
whether a Trailblazer is better than an Envoy: they are both built on
the same frame!

Geoff