[mythtv-users] Building new Mythtv Box

Joe jfwd at phlobus.net
Mon Jan 10 20:10:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:43:49AM -0500, Joe wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:35 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>> > Ditch the Nvidia 6200. You have FIOS so you get HD. You really need at least
>> > a 9500GT or newer (GT220 etc) for vdpau to lower the load on the CPU. That
>> > CPU will work, but will be stressed if you are recording and playing at the
>> > same time.
>>
>> I agree with everything Geoff said except the above comment about
>> needing VDPAU... My current main BE/FE is using the onboard Geforce
>> 6150 LE ... Records on all three tuners (dual HDHomeRun + PVR-150) and
>> simultaneously plays back HD to our LCD TV just fine.  CPU is an older
>> dual core Athlon (5200+ speed grade maybe?) but it's nowhere near it's
>> limits.
>
>    The older nvidias are likely to not support modern video inputs.
> An 8x00 card can be had cheaply and is really the bare minimum of what
> you want to be dealing with these days.

I assume you mean video outputs?   I am guessing that the OP has
already checked that the video card he's thinking of using has the
appropriate output to connect to the display.  Otherwise a change is
obviously needed.... But as I said before, my old onboard 6150LE, as
pitful as many might consider that to be, works just fine when playing
1080i/720p content captured via HDHomeRun.  The LCD display I have
right now on it is only a 32"/720p, but I used to have a 42" 1080p
display and can vouch that it worked just fine on that too, driving it
at 1920x1080 via HDMI.

True that it's a cheap upgrade -- but I also don't see the reason to
automatically blacklist a 6xxx based video card just because it's now
unpopular... it works just fine for my setup and probably others as
well.  Depends on your needs.  As far as I can tell the only thing
VDPAU really buys you is better deinterlacing options, but that's also
a personal preference thing.