[mythtv-users] Can't seem to permanently delete channels

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Jan 10 21:25:30 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
>> Alternately, if you want to leave the lineup in tact for some reason
>> (perhaps your pulling the same lineup for multiple setups?), you can hide
>> the channel using MythWeb as he mentioned.
>
> Actually no, because some of the channels work over firewire but not
> all, the ones that don't work over firewire I still need for my HDPVR
> source. So if I have them enabled in SD for the HDPVR source, then
> they will get added to the firewire source automatically. So really my
> only option is to use the --remove-new-channels option and then
> manually add any new channels when they are added by my cable company.
> Not my ideal solution, but it does work and manually adding the
> channels is not a big deal.

Steven, I think you missed the part of Joseph's message which I quoted
above, which was also mentioned earlier in this thread.  In SD, you
should have enabled every channel you receive by any means.  Within
each video source, you should have an entry for each of those
channels, but for the channels that don't work over firewire should be
marked with "visible = 0" in the source you're using for firewire.
Once you have a channel in place which is marked as not visible, it
won't be re-added or used for recordings and you can still receive
truly new channels automatically.

Eric