[mythtv-users] Simultaneous analogue (analog) and S/PDIF output

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 20:59:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Monday, 10 January 2011, Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> to disable passthru allowed mythfrontend to simultaneously output stereo
>> audio to analogue and S/PDIF when combined with the .asoundrc from
>> <http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5794935&postcount=4>.
>>
>> That is a bit of a shame, but I have a DVD player and a couple of consoles
>> for DVDs, so I can live with not getting DD5.1/DTS from DVDs played on my
>> MythTV box. I could swear I had it *all* working with 0.21-fixes on Fedora 8,
>> though... Is there any possibility that mythfrontend could be improved to do
>> passthru selectively (or manually through the OSD menu, at least)?
>>

> If it's just stereo you want to simultaneously to analog and spdif,
> then make sure the 5.1 audio up mixer is NOT enabled.

That would be perfectly acceptable.

It's not:

+-------------------+------+-------------------------+
| value             | data | hostname                |
+-------------------+------+-------------------------+
| AudioDefaultUpmix | 0    | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
| MusicDefaultUpmix | 0    | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
+-------------------+------+-------------------------+

> If you have it check, myth will never output stereo but 5.1 (and it
> may need to reencode to aC3 for that)
>
> If you are ok with only having stereo output to both analog and
> digital, and 5.1 to digital only then you can re-enable ac3 and DTS
> passthrough, and make sure you mute your analog tv or amp when playing
> 5.1 audio, cause its going to sound awful.

I tried that:

update settings set data=1 where value like '%passthru' and hostname='xxx';

...and I got the original digital-over-analogue clicking I reported. My
recordings are all from UK DVB-T. Disabling AC3PassThru but leaving
DTSPassThru enabled made no difference.

*ahem* Are you quite sure it should work as you describe?

Best Regards,
Alex