[mythtv-users] Reference fanless frontend, frontend, backend, fe/be

Harry Coin hcoin at quietfountain.com
Tue Jan 11 22:19:50 UTC 2011

I'd really appreciate a reference to an official myth web page that
describes in very specific detail the minimal total hardware
configuration capable of delivering all the basic SD/HD mythtv features
for the then current release.   There are so many choices now in
graphics cards and processors, it has to be a major impediment to
choosing mythtv that a potential user has to take a very big leap of
faith when buying a system that it will, when all the effort is put into
it, in fact do the right thing nearly all the time.   In fact I think
there is value in specifying four different reference systems:

1.  The totally silent frontend only configuration with as many standard
features as possible given the silence.  After silent comes green.

2.  The minimal configuration for a fully capable frontend only box.
Green comes before quiet.  Least speedy AMD class  processor, Intel
class processor, leading 'one chip wonders'.  Least featured NVidia
product, least featured AMD product, etc.   Do the math and make the $$
tradeoffs between graphics chip beef and processor beef.  Assume HD
playback at 1080p a must.

3.  The minimal configuration for a fully capable backend only box able
to record and playback at the same time some reasonable number of HD
shows, say record 2 while serving but not displaying  itself 2.  Lower
power the better.

4.  The minimal configuration for a fully capable combined
frontend/backend.  Points for lower power use.  Record 2 while playing
one and serving one for another frontend.

I know there are pages that list third party examples of systems, and
there are pages that talk about what problems and benefits various
vendor gfx chipsets can offer, but there's not the confidence that any
one particular mix of processor and gfx chipset will really do the whole
job save the fastest everything in-its-class.

Sorry if I've asked for something that's already out there!  Help please
and thanks.

Harry