[mythtv-users] New Ubuntu 10.10 Install, Access Denied error

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 15:40:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:54 AM, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:

> A new 10.10 Ubuntu install (not MythBuntu because it wouldn't boot
> correctly).  I've installed the MythBuntu Control Centre and installed a
> primary backend w frontend.  I'm using MythBuntu's MythTV-updates from their
> website so I'm on .24.  I wasn't able to connect to the DB in MCC.  On every
> test connection attempt, it fails.  After parsing through logs, I saw:
>
> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
>
> So I went into the MySQL db and set the password for Myth user to what was
> randomly generated during the install.  In the FE logs, I'm getting:
>
> 2011-01-06 22:47:25.928 MythCoreContext: Connecting to backend server:
> 10.0.0.23:6543 (try 1 of 1)
> 2011-01-06 22:47:25.929 Connection to master server timed out.
>                         Either the server is down or the master server
> settings
>                         in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper IP
> address
>
> I have checked all settings in mythtv-settings and NONE of them are listing
> LOCALHOST.  They're all showing 10.0.0.23.  Later in the logs, I saw this:
>
> 2011-01-06 23:33:51.960 Using configuration directory =
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv
> 2011-01-06 23:33:52.018 Unable to read configuration file mysql.txt
> 2011-01-06 23:33:52.076 Empty LocalHostName.
> 2011-01-06 23:33:52.134 Using localhost value of mythbackend
>

> So I decided to dump the mysql.txt file from my user account (joltman) to
> that location and change perms on it to the MythTV user (mythtv).  Then I
> could run the FE and see the BE.  However, MCC still shows that it can't
> make a DB connection.  I have made sure the setup key is the same in
> mythtv-setup.  Should I just wipe this install and try again or is there
> something apparent that I'm missing?  Thanks for the help!
>
> Jim

Just in case others are having the issue where MythBuntu wouldn't "boot"
properly.  The issue was that the machine would boot, but not give me a
display.  I got a new machine (Dell XPS400) and installed with a different
video card.  The same thing happened.  After SSHing into the box, and
checking the Xorg.0.log file, it seems that the machine couldn't find the
fglrx driver and thus wouldn't create a screen.  Odd to say the least.  I
switched it to the radeon driver and it seems to be working now.

Jim