[mythtv-users] Firewire errors during recording

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Jan 13 19:08:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Stephen Otto <sotto at emsco.com> wrote:
> I am using version 23-fixes and have just setup my first firewire card ( a
> cheap SYBA firewire card from Newegg) and connected it to a Verizon Fios STB
> (labeled QIP7100 although plugreport lists it as a 8100).
>

> I have run the firewire utilities and everything checks out. I can change
> channels without problem using the 6200ch channel changer. This week I set
> out to make HD recordings from the box and although it (almost) never fails
> to make a recording, they are full of glitches and jumps.

Which OS distribution are you using and what kernel version is it?

I had a lot of trouble when I first moved over to the newer firewire
stack.  There were, I believe, buffering bugs that affected OHCI 1.1
firewire cards that lead to huge problems.  They've all been worked
out, but if you're running older code you might see them.

At the moment I'm on Fios with a QIP7100-2 and firewire recording has
been rock solid with MythTV .24 and recent kernels.  (For copy-freely
channels only, of course.)

Eric