[mythtv-users] will this TV work for me?

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Jan 14 07:41:48 UTC 2011

On Thursday, January 13, 2011 03:32:54 pm Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org>
wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca>
wrote:
> > I am wanting to replace my Mythbox's 17" CRT monitor with one of these
TVs:
> >  http://www.dynexproducts.com/products/televisions/DX-22L150A11.html
> >
> > It's Best Buy's house brand.
> >
> > It has a VGA input, which is all I have for output from my nVidia 6200
> > card, and the specs seem to indicate the TV will take what my card is
> > putting out to the CRT already.
>
> Stupid question: Do you really need a TV?
>
> Generally an LCD monitor will be cheaper than an LCD TV.  Compare that
> TV with something like this:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079
>
> It's an inch bigger, has a higher resolution, and costs less.  All it
> lacks is a remote and tuner, but if you don't need those, it doesn't
> make sense to pay for them.
>
> Eric

Yes, but in another thread talking about a 20" Samsung panel I got for Xmas
I was told it would be a waste with my analog SD material. I can either use
only a portion of such a large panel, or have the picture scaled out and
looking not so good. The TV in my inquiry is 10 bucks more at Best Buy
right now, and as a bonus (for me) has speakers built in, something I've
gotten used to with my old CRT.