[mythtv-users] will this TV work for me?

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Jan 14 20:32:46 UTC 2011

On Friday, January 14, 2011 06:49:01 am Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org>
wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 2:41 AM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca>
wrote:

> > Yes, but in another thread talking about a 20" Samsung panel I got for
> > Xmas I was told it would be a waste with my analog SD material. I can
> > either use only a portion of such a large panel, or have the picture
> > scaled out and looking not so good.
>
> Nonsense.  Picture scaling is a solved problem.  If you have analog SD
> material, it's generally 720x480.  If you buy a 720p TV, you'll need
> to scale it to 1280x720 anyway.  The picture won't look any worse
> scaled to 1920x1080 than it would scaled to 1280x720.  If anything it
> would look better.  A 1080p set will be more future proof as well.
> What material will you be watching 5 years from now?
>
> > The TV in my inquiry is 10 bucks more at Best Buy
> > right now, and as a bonus (for me) has speakers built in, something
> > I've gotten used to with my old CRT.
>
> That LCD monitor in the link above also has integrated speakers.  Many
> models do.  All it lacks is the tuner and IR remote control.
>
> Eric

OK I'm a bit confused by conflicting advice and my own ignorance of how all
this works. So a 1920x1080 (aspect ratio 1.77) panel will scale 720x480
material (aspect ratio 1.5) without distortion? Does this just work
automagically?

5 years from now I won't be using a $200 5-year old panel anymore, so
future-proofing is moot.

Thanks for getting me to re-think things - I haven't pulled the tv out of
the box yet. Right now I think this panel

   http://tinyurl.com/6jujaby

matches my specs/price point.