[mythtv-users] Firewire errors during recording

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 21:57:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Stephen Otto <sotto at emsco.com> wrote:
>>> I'm far less doubtful.  I think upgrading to a newer release should be
>>> your first step.  There have been tons of firewire changes since the
>>> version you're running now.
>>
>> nothing that should make a difference with this. I ran that kernel
>> with firewire and didn't notice it give me any issues.
>
> With the juju stack or the older one?  With an OHCI 1.1 card or 1.0?
>
> The bug I was referring to was specifically for 1.1 cards on juju.

I'm just running the standard Ubuntu kernel, so I'm not sure on the
juju & OHCI stuff.

I do know from being involved on this mailing list a few years ago
that it became pretty apparent that
A) VIA's ieee1394 chipsets are no good for our purposes (though I
believe one model was found to be decent?)
B) TI and NEC seemed to have little to no problems
C) Fedora's change in the firewire stack caused people using Fedora
many headaches until the issues were cleared up. Which I think are now
irrelevant with a kernel upgrade.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!