[mythtv-users] will this TV work for me?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 22:01:47 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> On Friday, January 14, 2011 02:05:25 pm Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
>> > Yes, but in another thread talking about a 20" Samsung panel I got for
>> > Xmas I was told it would be a waste with my analog SD material.
>>
>> I read that thread and did not believe what you were told. A nice
>> panel is a nice panel, whether it is a "TV" or a "Monitor".
>>
>> However many TV's add more than a tuner. They do all sorts of
>> processing. They are not just a monitor plus tuner.
>
> Is any of that processing worth having for pre-digitized content (like a
> recording made from analog SD)? Or only relevant to fixing analog input?

It can be, though through Myth not nearly as much if at all since you
can do what those TV's will be doing in Myth.
With a standard feed (cable, antenna, etc) the processing can help for
deinterlacing, scaling, etc. Of course, quality in will determine
quality out, and the better processing algorithms will do more with
poor input.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!