[mythtv-users] Getting remote to start on boot

Robert Longbottom rongblor at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 16 09:47:49 UTC 2011

On 16 Jan 2011, at 05:27 AM, Dave M G <martin at autotelic.com> wrote:

> MythTV users,
>
> I'm running Mythbuntu 10.10, and I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 remote.
>
> It has been working mostly fine for years. However, since upgrading to
> 10.10, whenever I reboot the machine, I need to run this command to make
> the remote control work:
>
> sudo modprobe lirc_zilog
>
> Don't even ask how I eventually figured out that was the command. It's a
> long story and I'm not even sure I can retrace the steps anymore.
>
> Also, this may be connected, but I have this command among my list of
> programs that auto-start:
>
> irexec -d
>
> ... However, that is also not working. I have to manually start it from
> the command line (after running the command above). Even though I have
> it set to be executed on every boot, it needs manual starting.
>
> So, in summary, to have my remote control working, after every reboot, I
> have to run the following two commands, by hand:
>
> sudo modprobe lirc_zilog
> irexec -d
>
> Surely there's a way I can get the system to automatically do these for
> me...?

I'm not specifically familiar with Ubuntu, but this should be the same on most Linux distros. You need to haves look in /etc and find the modules autoload file.  This lists kernel modules that are automatically loaded at boot. In that file you just put the module name - lirc_zilog.

I would imagine doing this might fix both your problems. Probably irexec is failing to start because the module for your remote isn't loaded.

Robert.