[mythtv-users] Satellite STB

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 18:03:37 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Kristofer Pettijohn <
kristofer at cybernetik.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I currently have DirecTV with a HR24-700 STB.  I would like to know what
> the best choice of a capture card would be to use with this, as I would like
> to capture HD video.
>
> The STB has component, composite, and HDMI outputs.

The Hauppauge HD-PVR is the only currently supported device that can capture
HD video from a STB.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HDPVR

> I know that I will need to utilize an IR blaster to change the channels on
> the STB, and then capture the video after the channel has been changed.  I
> can't seem to find the right hardware to capture HD video from the DirectTV
> receiver though.

One nice thing about Directv STBs, is that you can control the channel
change via it's USB port.  Some people have also had success changing the
channels via HTTP to the Directv STB, but that does not work on my H20 or
H21.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_(STB)_via_USB_or_Serial
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_(STB)_via_Network

John