[mythtv-users] Back-to-back recordings

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Sun Jan 16 23:09:09 UTC 2011

On 01/16/2011 01:54 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Douglas Peale
> <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Multi-rec works great for digital tuners, but I must specify the hard extra recording time, not the soft extra recording time.
>> The soft extra recording time will get deleted on back to back recordings even if there are enough tuners to do an overlapped
>> recording.
> Have you tried setting "Avoid back to back recordings" to "Always"?
> This is found in Setup > TV Settings > Recording Priorities > Set
> Recording Priorities > Page 1.  This works perfectly for my 2 HDHRs (4
> tuners total), though I don't use multirec.
>
> Jim
I don't wish to avoid back to back recordings, with multi-rec and the hard extra recording time it works fine.
The problem was that with soft extra recording time, the extra recording time got disabled when it did not need to be disabled.

I would set up two back to back recordings with 5 minutes of hard extra and 5 minutes of soft extra (before and after). I would
get only 5 minutes of extra. For non-back to back recordings I would get the full 10. If it could do the 5 hard, it could have
done the 5 soft as well, but did not.

I no longer use soft extra recording time. In my view the soft should only be disabled if it is impossible to do. Now, if it is
impossible to record the hard extra, the show will be rescheduled, or missed. But with 5 physical tuners that is not very likely.