[mythtv-users] OT: So I learned today that some TVs are picky about the HDMI cable.

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 08:39:29 UTC 2011

Hi

On 17 January 2011 03:18, Dave Richardson <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:

> I had read about this being an HDMI cable "sensitivity" issue in the
> Panasonic Viera forums (although I mumbled "bull$hit" at the suggestion).
it's more than likely "bull$shit" as you say

>  On a lark, I replaced the HDMI cable with a newer HDMI cable (for like $5)
> and the system came to life immediately!  I'm pretty sure the prior cable
> was more costly and still HDMI 1.3 compliant, so I'm not sure why this new
> cable is "good".

There are no HDMI 1.3 cables despite what some reseller are saying
trying to convince people that they need to "upgrade" their cable.

from a cable point of view, they have the same pinouts. the same
internal cabling etc..

What change is that some are better shielded than others.

> I don't have much more to offer on technical learnings/details... just a
> "whooda thunkit" moment... please omit any snark if everybody else knew this
> to be true.

you had a faulty cable to start with ..