[mythtv-users] 0.24 Unable to toggle auto commercial skip while recording in progress

James Crow crow.jamesm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 16:17:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Martin Moores <moores.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 January 2011 15:35, James Crow <crow.jamesm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was unable to find if this is documented, but I am unable to toggle
>> auto commercial skip while a recording is still recording. Once the
>> recording has stopped I can then toggle it. The problem is that when I
>> hit the menu key the option does not display in the menu until the
>> recording is finished. I have not tried to map a button and see if it
>> works. This is a recent 0.24 Mythbuntu auto build, but the problem has
>> been present since I switched to 0.24.
>>
>> Anyone else seeing this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James
>>

> Maybe a silly question, but are your commercials being detected "on the fly"
> rather than after the recording has finished?  Default settings (and the way
> my box works) is that commercial flagging jobs are queued when recordings
> are finished, so there would be no option for commercials while the
> recording is on-going
>
> Martin

Not a silly question, but yes I am positive that commercials are
detected while the recording is in progress. I have a fairly fast
system and the recordings are ClearQAM MPEG2. My system can flag
commercials faster than real time. If I start to watch a recording a
few minutes after it starts then flagging and auto skip will remove
most commercials by the time I finish the recording.

Last night we were watching the awards show. Robert De Niro was given
some award and there was a 3 minute block of video where black frames
began and ended it. Myth flagged it as a commercial (which is
right...it looked like a commercial) and skipped over it. I had no way
of turning off commercial skip. I went to the menu accessible by the
"M" key a few times and it was not there. My wife said that the option
to disable auto skip would not be there until the recording finished.
This morning I checked again and sure enough she was right. The option
to disable auto skip was there.

Thanks,
James