[mythtv-users] vdpau accelerated mythcommflag and/or ffmpeg?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 16:23:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 January 2011 22:26, Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1/4/11 4:47 PM, Will Dormann wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've got an Atom 330 ION system with an HD-PVR set up as a combined
>>> frontend/backend and it's quite slick.   Except mythcommflag and ffmpeg
>>> (for mytharchive) are really slow!   The former gets about 9fps and the
>>> latter is 4fps.
>>

>> Just to follow up on my own thread here.   There are two things that I
>> did to improve commercial flagging performance:
>>
>> 1) Set max number of jobs to 2.   The CPU is dual core and has
>> hyperthreading enabled, and it handles this without flinching.
>>
>> 2) Enable the ""experimental speedup of commercial detection" option.
>>
>> With those two settings, I've more than tripled my commercial flagging
>> throughput.

Will, did you find the accuracy of the "experimental" option to be any
better/worse than the standard method? I'd hate to enable it only to
find the accuracy is much worse.

Did you find running more than 2 jobs to actually be slower per job or
just feel slower?

> I'm hoping to fix up some code to allow hardware accelerated
> commflagging in the next few weeks. It'll be VDA (apple, H264) and
> Crystal HD only at first as these deliver decoded frames into main
> memory.
>
> VDPAU will need extra work around getting decoded frames back out of
> the GPU for analysis (which may be slow enough to make it
> unattractive) and they'll all need some way of sensibly sharing a
> scarce hardware resource between commflagging and video playback.
>
> regards
>
> Mark

Mark, any idea what type of speed improvements this will provide for
those that have newer multi-core processors (C2D, i# processors and
such)?

Thanks!

--
Steve