[mythtv-users] mythfrontend --version shows Unknown

Yianni Vidalis yiannividalis at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 17 19:12:16 UTC 2011

> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 07:27:39 -0800
> From: stichnot at gmail.com
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] mythfrontend --version shows Unknown
>
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 6:42 AM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 08:58 +0200, Yianni Vidalis wrote:
> >> My main MB/FE (openSuSE 11.2) shows Unknown as the myth version (both
> >> with mythfrontend --version and mythbackend --version).
> >> Any ideas what could be missing?
> >
> > Hi;
> >
> > Did you start with: git clone git://github.com/MythTV/mythtv.git?
> >
> > You could try: git describe --dirty.  That's what mythtv/version.sh
> > uses, and if it fails (which seems to be your case) it substitutes
> > Unknown.
>
> When the git switchover happened, my Fedora 10 version of git didn't
> support the --dirty option, so my MythTV version came out as Unknown.

Yes, apparently you are right. The same happens with openSuSE 11.2, which has git version 1.6.4.2-3.3 (I just updated it).
It replies: error: unknown option `dirty'.

OpenSuSE 11.3 has the 1.7.1 version which supports it.

If any of the developers are reading this, is it possible to change the parameters used in version.sh?

If not, it's not a big problem anyway.

Thank you for all your answers,

Yianni.