[mythtv-users] PS3 keys

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jan 17 22:19:24 UTC 2011

On 1/17/2011 16:49, Johan Heikkilä wrote:
> I bought the older model instead of the slim, for the purpose of being able to install Linux on it. I wasn't happy at all when Sony disabled the feature that I had bought by forcing a firmware upgrade.

The point I'm trying to make is that the PS3 is of little use as a
HTPC.  It's fine if you're using the GameOS with its limited codec
support over UPnP, but it simply doesn't have the power to run software
decoding for normal Linux media players.  You can do standard definition
video, but will struggle on anything HD.  The hardware has been
available for several years, with only minimal progress towards writing
video decoders that ran on the SPE.  The master key being found and used
to access the system without the hypervisor is not going to make a bit
of difference.