[mythtv-users] Secondary Backend Setup

Scott & Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Tue Jan 18 02:39:54 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am thinking about installing the secondary backend role on one of the machines in my Myth setup.  I am planning to only have it do Transcode jobs of recordings made on my master backend.  It will have no storage groups, cards, etc defined, and do no recordings.  I just want to make sure I am on the right path as I understand it.

I’ll install the backend role on this machine.  In the backend setup, allow transcode jobs and set the max number of simultaneous jobs as well as make sure the “only transcode on recording machine” is not enabled.  Define no storage groups, cards, or anything that would make it think it can record.

On the master backend, I’ll no longer allow transcode jobs.

If I understand everything correctly, this should force all transcodes to be done on the new secondary backend, correct?  If this is the case, the resulting file of anything transcoded will remain on the master backend?  Do I need to set up anything with NFS/Samba, or will the defined storage groups on the master backend handle everything the secondary backend needs to get at the stuff it transcodes?    Is there any ill effect if the master backend starts up and can’t find the secondary backend (i.e. one of the kids turned it off)?

Thanks,
Scott