[mythtv-users] Requesting some sample kill a watt meter numbers

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 18 13:13:31 UTC 2011

"Mark D. Montgomery II" <techiem2 at techiem2.net> wrote on Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 01:39:35AM -0500:
> Quoting freedenizen <freedenizen at gmail.com>:
>
> >On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Joe Hickey <jfwd at phlobus.net> wrote:
> >>Turns out my combined be/fe is burning 85 watts at idle.... not good!
> >
> >my be alone runs around 300W idle, 350-400 under load, 85 would be awesome.
>
> Finally got my wiring rearranged (boy that was a task in this room).
>
> My FE/BE/Gaming box seems to be sitting at 140-145W (box only, not
> including the monitor) in it's Default State: System up with
> MythWeather active.
>
> Athlon X2 250
> 6GB RAM
> 1.5TB hdd
> DVDRW
> GeForce GTS 450 1GB PCIe 2.0 x16
> Pushing an Asus 23.6" LCD at 1920x1080 via HDMI
> Antec earthWatts 450 (I think) PSU (not gonna open it up tonight to be sure)

I took some readings when I built my new frontend a few weeks ago.

Frontend: 32W idle, 46W 1080i playback
Core i3-540 3.06GHz
4GB RAM
Seasonic 300W 80 plus PSU
16GB USB flash drive
no video card, no hard drive, no optical drive

Adding a G210 video card to this box increased the power consumption
to 44W idle, 50W playback.

Backend/frontend: 89W idle, 93W 1080i playback
Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
G210 video card
2GB RAM
FSP 400W PSU (NOT 80 plus)
320GB and 1.5TB hard drives
DVD burner

Swapping out the FSP PSU in this box with the 80 plus Seasonic dropped
the power consumption to 79W idle, 83W playback, approximately a 10%
improvement. I'll probably eventually move the Seasonic PSU to the
BE/FE and use a picoPSU in the frontend.