[mythtv-users] Requesting some sample kill a watt meter numbers

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 17:11:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Joe Hickey <jfwd at phlobus.net> wrote:
> It idles at ~85w, but I've seen it go up as high as 140 while doing stuff.
>
> I think the answer to my question is: if I want to substantially
> reduce that number I have to look toward the atoms, and give up on the
> idea of having commflag jobs complete in a anywhere near real time (or
> possibly just have it fire up this box when needed).  Something to
> think about.... I've been looking for a project lately.

You may be surprised by the capabilities of the Atom.  See my
experience at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/388236
.  To summarize, my single-core Zotac IONITX does close to real-time
commflagging of 720p and 1080i ATSC recordings.  (However,
commflagging of HDPVR h.264 recordings is probably only 1/3 to 1/2
real-time.)  And in a diskless configuration, it idles at 19 watts,
and the highest I observed was 26 watts while playing an h.264
recording at 2x timestretch.  Also, it sits fanless in a closed,
unventilated dresser drawer running 24x7.

Jim