[mythtv-users] problem with aac 5.1 audio with .24

Anthony Hill ahill at blacksun.net.au
Wed Jan 19 10:10:42 UTC 2011

Hey Readers,

I've got a problem playing movie files with aac 5.1 audio using the
internal player. The sound is weird - distorted - maybe playing reeeally
slow, or maybe just the subwolfer channel - certainly not in anyway
legible.

The same files work fine using mplayer or vlc. (as long as the myth
frontend is shutdown first. [if it isnt shutdown, they either dont play,
or play with no audio - a real bother cause I cant even configure myth
to use an external player for the problem movies as a workaround])

I'm using HDMI to the telly, but the sound output is just to a PC style
speaker/amplifier connected to the audio jack of my soundcard - works
fine for other files, DTV etc.

Im running ubuntu 10.10 and myth .24 from the repositories, with one of
the new AT5IONT-I atom itx motherboards which have just given me the
ability to play HD - really loving that - unfortunately most of the HD
movies I am coming across seem to also include these advanced audio
tracks :(

The sound hardware (from lshw) is :-

  *-multimedia
                product: High Definition Audio Controller
                vendor: nVidia Corporation
                physical id: 0.1
                bus info: pci at 0000:03:00.1
                version: a1
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
                configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
                resources: irq:18 memory:fbcfc000-fbcfffff

I dont know much about audio, and flailed around with some of the audio
settings in myth - the current (default) settings seem to be about the
only ones that work with anything, and none of them got the movies with
AAC 5.1 sound to play right.

The current settings are :-

Audio output device: Alsa:default
Speakers Config: stereo
Mixer Device: Alsa:default
Mixer Controls: Master

..does this sound like a known problem ?

Any idea where I should look next ?

Failing that, any idea why external players dont work while myth
frontend is running ? - would be very nice to use vlc or mplayer to work
abound this and a few other minor issues.

Cheers.