[mythtv-users] Requesting some sample kill a watt meter numbers

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Jan 19 13:39:06 UTC 2011

On 19 Jan 2011, at 13:10, Matthew McClement wrote:

Snip

> The problem you will run into, however, is that all the *other*
> components can have a fairly drastic effect on power draw. Hard drives,
> tuners and even fans all draw power and can have a fairly drastic impact
> on overall system power draw. All it takes is 2-3 idle 3.5" 7200rpm 4
> platter drives to to exceed the total power draw of the CPU and chipset
> at idle...

On this point does anyone have experience using AV drives with MythTV?
For example Seagate Pipeline or WD AV-GP drives, I recently fitted a 1TB Seagate pipeline in a Sky+HD box and was seriously impressed by the (lack of) power requirements, <200mA on either rail by the label, 4W by the datasheet but datasheet also says 2A startup current, that doesn't add up!

My other "low power" drives want 500mA & 700mA by the labels. Maybe it's all start up surge and there's not much difference but either way sounds useful in a multi drive myth box.

I'm tempted to get a couple of 2TB ones to try but would be good to know if anyone else has tried them.

I'm also cheating a little on the DVBS2 cards, with a communal antenna system the amplifier is powered separately so there's no LNB to power, doubt it makes that much difference maybe a watt at most.

Andre