[mythtv-users] HDHomeruns are sensitive to power adapter used.

Alan Anderson andersonas at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 18:13:29 UTC 2011

I have one old HDHomerun bought back when it was a new product, it has worked
for years no issues.

I recently bought two new HDHomeruns oiver the last year.

This past weekend I rearranged some hardware so that the old HDHomerun ended
up using a newer power supply.  Since then I noticed on that if mythtv tried
to record from both tuners on the old HDHomerun the second recording always
ended up as a missing file.

Testing from the hdhomerun_gui I could tune either tuner 0 or 1 fine and view
either with vlc.  But if after watching one tuner if I tried to watch the
second tuner I would get a protocol error and the ID would disapear from the
GUI.

I swaspped the power supply back so the older HDHomerun used its original
power supply (larger and sits horizontal in the outlet).  And the two new
HDHomeruns used the newer style power adapter (smaller and sits verttically in
the outlet).

The problem is gone.  No more missing recordings, and no more protocol errors
from the GUI if I switch tuners.

The newer HDHomeruns didnt have any problems with the old power supply.  It
was the older HDHomerun that didnt work with the new power supplies.

So another reason for the "missing file issue"

Alan Anderson