[mythtv-users] Technotrend C-2300, LOCK but no data on encrypted channels

Mattias Vik magion at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 23:33:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 23:19, Hugo Sigurdson <hugo at sigurdson.net> wrote:
> On 01/19/2011 11:09 PM, Joe Hickey wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Greg Oliver<oliver.greg at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> You are trying to bypass encryption from your provider.  How you see
>>> that as not illegal is beyond me..
>>>
>> I just read this thread (catching up) but I didn't get impression he's
>> trying to "bypass" encryption at all, it sounds like his provider
>> (clearly not in the US) has provided all the necessary gear such that
>> he should be able to receive these channels in the equipment of his
>> choice.
>>
>> However -- I can't help here either -- as I also live in the US where
>> the idea of receiving content that you subscribe to on the equipment
>> of your choice is indeed illegal, and it's basically unheard of for a
>> cable company here to allow such a thing.  But I like to think there
>> are places in the world where that is not the case....
> and use it with a CI-interface it's perfectly legal.
>
> Regarding the softcam, it's usually legal when used in combination with
> software provided by the tuner card manufacturer but I haven't seen any
> software like that in Linux.
>
> The cable provider in question even state on their site that you can use any
> DVB-C unit you like, but they only grantee function with units sold by them
> or a few other brands (Samsung and Sony TVs for example).
>
> They do have some limitations when using hardware that they didn't provide,
> HD content is blocked.
>
> /Hugo

CI-interface.
Just that the provider Comhem has paired the encrypted HD channels to
a STB sold by them, but recently they also enabled HD for equipment
that has a CI+-interface... though unfortunately I've never seen a
CI+-interface that can be conneced to a DVB-C card, only some TV's
with CI+ interface integrated.
But that's irrelevant, I'm not interested in getting the HD channels
to work, just the SD channels that I have a subscription for.

I've ordered a new Mystique (KNC) DVB-C card and a CI-interface for it
from dvbshop.net.
I'm tired of having of trying to get the C-2300 working again, and the
C-1500 has very bad signal... so will try something that's not
Technotrend now, and hopefully it will just be to plug it in and then
it will work.
If it still doesn't work, I guess I'll try the C-1501 as that seems to
work well for Hugo with the same provider as me, but I'd rather avoid
anything Technotrend in the future if possible.

/Mattias