[mythtv-users] Hitachi 3T drives - reliable?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 04:50:34 UTC 2011

> Can your system handle 3TB drives? Most system's bioses could not
> handle the full capacity (even on the newest computers)

All the newer Intel motherboards (Intel branded and sold) support
EFI booting (as an option)(*).  Not all motherboard manufacturers
are so enlightened.  One should absolutely check for such
support if you are going to be booting off the drive (although
the hybrid GPT/MBR support can usually be used for booting
to a GPT capable OS.  As with much else, this may require
advanced skills at this point in the technology deployment cycle).

As an "additional" drive, I would guess most of the GPT
capable systems should be able to mount the drive, even
if the BIOS does not recognize it.

Gary

(*) For my myth systems, I generally prefer stability of
    the platform (rather their overclocking potential :-)(**),
    and spend a little more for an Intel motherboard
    when that is an option.

(**) Intel's reference platform motherboards are rarely
    the most feature rich, but they are rock solid designs.