[mythtv-users] Hitachi 3T drives - reliable?

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 11:31:18 UTC 2011

On 20/01/11 09:34, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 20 January 2011 04:40, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>> Can your system handle 3TB drives? Most system's bioses could not
>> handle the full capacity (even on the newest computers), which is the
>> reason that Western Digital was shipping a controller card with their
>> 3TB hard drives. Also, for Windows I believe you need to be running a
>> 64-bit version to use the full space, but I don't know whether that's
>> true for linux too (just in case you're not on 64-bit already). I
>
> Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense. Why would a 64 bits OS got
> anything to do with the size of a hard drive.

Nothing from a technical perspective, however with Windows, there's a
couple of restrictions. From memory it's something like:

* GPT read/write support requires XP 64, Win2k3 or Vista+. XP 32 and any
prior Windows version doesn't support GPT
* GPT boot requires EFI, which is only supported on x86_64 and ia64
editions of Windows

Matt