[mythtv-users] Hitachi 3T drives - reliable?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 13:53:30 UTC 2011

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

>  > For whatever reason, 2TB seems to be a common limit (I know it is in older
>>  versions of Windows). 2TB is 2^31 bytes, so the maximum value for a signed
>>  32 bit integer.
>
>sure, but those are block devices. So the limitation is 2^31 sectors;
>with 4kB sectors, you have a long way to go after 3TB no ?

You'd think so, but is **everything** disk related done in blocks. It
only needs one <something> to keep track of overall size in bytes and
the limit kicks in.

Personally I don't know much at all about the innards of the OSs so
it's mostly conjecture. Hopefully someone with a bit more in depth
knowledge will know.

--
Simon Hobson