[mythtv-users] OTA/DTV tuner-card related questions, recommendations

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Jan 20 17:15:27 UTC 2011

Stephen Otto wrote:

> If picture quality is really low on your lost you may want to go back to
> your original idea and use your existing converter box and pvr150. A
> irblaster to control the converter box will run you $10 and an afternoon
> of learning about lirc.

I don't understand what you mean when you speak about low picture quality
"on your lost." "Host" maybe? Seems something might be missing there. In
any case, I get cable through the PVR150, so I can't use it for OTA
capture via the Zinwell converter box. So if I were to use the converter
box, I'd be running it through the BT878--unless I bought another PVR150
or similar--something I've not opposed to, by the way.

The irblaster sounds economical, true. But I think you may be
overestimating my skill level when you say it would take only an afternoon
to learn and set it up. Believe me, it's something I'd like to do. But I
have many other responsibilities that, if this were to take more than an
afternoon, would have to go neglected. Or--more likely--the lirc project
would have to be shelved until I could get back to it. And then it could
drag on until . . . who knows when.

Anyway, thanks for your input and I'll be mulling over your suggestions.

James