[mythtv-users] Hitachi 3T drives - reliable?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Jan 20 19:12:17 UTC 2011

On 01/20/2011 11:21 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:

> As a tangent since were already technically OT:
>
> Does using whole disk LVM get around the partition limitations? I
> don't know how LVM works internally but I assume the disk is
> essentially partitionless?

If you use LVM on the whole disk rather than on the partition, then the
limits become those of LVM rather than of the partitioning system you
use. I don't happen to know the limits of Linux's LVM offhand, though.

That said, I wouldn't recommend using LVM without partitions, simply
because there may be some poorly-written tool out there that ASSUMES
every disk is partitioned and will do something bone-headed and damaging
if it encounters a disk that uses raw LVM. Murphy's Law guarantees that
you'll be the person to discover this behavior on your two 3 TB disks
that hold your entire DVD collection that you've just finished
transferring to disk.

Since Linux understands GPT just fine, there's no point in using LVM
without partitions, even on a huge disk.