[mythtv-users] No audio with flash-player

Stephen Otto sotto at emsco.com
Thu Jan 20 20:32:29 UTC 2011

>  > > My problem: with flash-player, although video is great, there's no
>  > > audio
>  > > at all! :(
>  > >
>  > > Both MythTV 0.24 and Firefox are affected; sound in every other
>  > > (non-flash) application works just fine.
>  > >
>  > > I'm running Mythbuntu 9.10 (64 bit) and using ALSA; I don't have
>  > > PulseAudio installed (I checked that out) but I strangely do have
> the
>  > > following packages (because of VLC, I guess): libpulse0,
>  > > vlc-plugin-pulse, libasound2-plugins.
>  > >
>  > > Sound is presently sent to the TV set by HDMI, but in the
> beginning HD
>  > > audio was enabled on the MB; later, I disabled it in the BIOS as
>  > > suggested here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ATI_Radeon_HDMI
>  > >
>  > > In alsamixer there's only iec958 (up & running).
>  > >
>  > > I followed the guide here:
>  > > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tutorial in order to edit
> my
>  > > asound.conf which just contains:
>  > >
>  > > ctl.!default {
>  > >     type hw
>  > >     card 0
>  > > }
>  > >
>  > I had a similar problem and cured it by setting the default but mine
>  > has a
>  > device line and looks like this:
>  >
>  > pcm.!default {
>  >        type hw
>  >        card 1
>  >        device 8
>  > }
>
> I tried with my card and device numbers but it still doesn't work! :(
>
>  > What does this command show?
>  > aplay -l

>   card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
>  > Also what is in the setting for Audio device:
>  > Service Menu / Mythtv Configuaration / Music Tools / Music Settings
> /
>  > General Settings
>
> I used the "scan" feature and then selected the "ALSA HDMI".
>
> It's just flash however, sound everywhere else works well.

I had the same problem. I have audio over HDMI and everything worked except
for flash/hulu/firefox and fixed it by changing the default definition.
These programs use ALSA's default output and ALSA sets the default output to
card 0, device 0 unless told otherwise. Try changing your asound.conf to

pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 3