[mythtv-users] OTA/DTV tuner-card related questions, recommendations

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Jan 20 23:21:16 UTC 2011

Steven wrote:

> In fact if you have a composite input (in addition to the co-ax input)
> on your PVR-150, you may be able to use it for both your cable
> connection and the output from your gov't converter box. Still gonna
> have to mess with lirc though.

I do have composite input on this card, yes. Initial tests of this
possibility--sans lirc mucking--are encouraging. Much better picture than
I got running the coax from the Zinwell converter into my BT878. But an
important question arises: if recordings should happen to come up at the
same time on both the composite and coax inputs of the PVR150, what
happens? Can it record/transcode from both inputs simultaneously?

Also, regarding lirc. I don't see a need for using a remote. So I wouldn't
want to fiddle with it for that purpose. But as I'm understanding this I
need to implement it along with relevant configuration files so that
mythtv can control the Zinwell, e.g., change channels when it's time to
record from that input. Am I on the right track here in planning on not
setting up any IR remote but simply getting the proper configuration in
place to allow mythtv to control this converter box? Again, I use an old
ps2 keyboard with extension cable for interacting with my mythtv--which
works fine for my purposes.

Thanks,
James